There are many factors that go into choosing the perfect mattress for you. Johnson’s wants to do everything we can to make your buying or browsing experience the best for you. If you decide you want to buy one of our mattresses, we will remove your existing mattress and help set up your new set up.
Is it time for a new mattress?
Have you been having back or neck pain? Have you had your mattress for over 8 years? These are important questions you need to be asking yourself to have the best sleep you can.
Most mattresses last about 8 years, but some can last up to 12 years like latex mattresses. If you are struggling to stay asleep, waking up with aches and pains, or just uncomfortable when you are sleeping on your mattress, it is time to consider a new mattress.
What type of mattress is best for me?
There are many advantages and disadvantages for each type of mattress. The most important questions to ask yourself are ones like what is your ideal firmness level for a mattresses? Is the coolness of your mattresses a priority for you? Are you allergic to any types of material like latex or just have bad allergies? What sleeping position do you most regularly sleep in?
Advantages of an Innerspring Mattress
The traditional innerspring or coil mattress can have a bad reputation for some people, but there are many advantages to this type of mattress.
- One of the most affordable
- The strongest edge support
- Cooling benefits from separation between each layer of springs
Disadvantages of an Innerspring Mattress
There are many new mattresses available that have made improvements on the disadvantages of the traditional innerspring mattress. Some of the disadvantages include..
- They are a physically heavy mattress
- Certain innerspring mattresses could collect dust or attract dust mites
- Sleeping partners often move when the other moves on the bed
- usually had shorter life span of about 8 years
Advantages of a Memory Foam Mattress
- The full body support can help relieve painful pressure points
- When your partner is tossing and turning, you won’t have to move with them because of the motion isolation of memory foam
- Better for those with allergies because dirt and dust mites and pet dander don’t get as easily trapped
- Longer durability of about 10 years
Disadvantages of a Memory Foam Mattress
Most people have heard of the advantages and felt the comfort of a memory foam mattress, but there are some disadvantages that should also be considered.
- They tend to keep in body heat and create a hotter mattresses than others (this can be fixed with different toppers or newer types of cooling foam mattresses)
- They can be very heavy and dense
- The climate of the region can actually effect the softness or hardness of these mattresses
- Some claim they have an odd chemical smell
Advantages of a Latex Mattress
Latex has become a perennial favorite among mattress types in recent years. Let’s look at why.
- A cooler foam mattress than memory foam
- Noticeable pain reduction and extreme comfort in 1/3 customers from the pressure relief of latex material mattresses
- One of the longest life spans at about 12 years
- Similarly to memory foam, they do not move when partners move
Disadvantages of a Latex Mattress
- The firmness of latex mattress is uncomfortable for some
- More on the expensive side
- These mattresses are also extremely heavy
Advantages of a Hybrid Mattress
Hybrid mattresses are created with a mixture of different materials like latex, layers of foams, coils, etc. This type of mattress is working to utilize the advantages of many different types of mattresses.
- In contrast to a fully foam mattress, hybrids give more of a bouncy and less of a sinking in
- This mattress is more customizable for less of the cost
- These mattresses also have a cooler feel than memory foam
Disadvantages of a Hybrid Mattress
- If your partner moves a lot, these beds move with them more
- Although it is cooler than a memory foam mattress, it is still less breathable than latex or innerspring
- When a hybrid is first purchased, they often have a strong chemical smell from the memory foam
Advantages of a Pillow-Top Mattress
A pillow-top mattress is a type of mattress like innerspring, latex, memory foam, etc with a layer of material stuffed and sewn into the top layer of the mattress. The can create a cloud like feeling for your sleeping experience.
- This is a very affordable mattress and comes in every size
- The strong chemical smell of a memory foam mattress is much less because of the smaller layer of memory foam on top
- They stay cooler than memory foam mattresses because of the breathability through out the mattress
Disadvantages of a Pillow-Top Mattress
- There are issues of sagging and dipping because of the thinner layer of memory foam or material
- The pressure relief is less for some, especially for heavier people
- The coils can become an issue over time causing a shorter life span than other mattresses
There are a many of factors that go into choosing a new mattress. After considering the types of mattresses, it is important to decide your budget and the level of mattress firmness that is best for you. Most mattresses like memory foam, latex, and hybrid will allow you to choose your level of firmness from soft, medium firmness, or hard firmness.
Monday: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Tuesday: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Thursday: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM